Shanathalas
"When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around"

A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall

By Shanathalas
Time to build an ark. Its raining plenty out there. It seems Vancouver is making up for the gorgeous and very dry summer it's just had by dumping a massive amount of water on itself. While long spells of constant rain are certainly not unusual at this time of year, the heaviness of the rain is. Usually its just a week of drizzle; heavy fog if you will. But this past few weeks have seen record amounts of precipitation falling in southwestern British Columbia. While this is good for all things green, its ferocity has stirred up the reservoirs, making all the water silty. Its brown, dirt smelling, and apparently unsafe to drink without boiling first.

I now segue into my other bit of news. The wheel of fortune it does turn and this week I find myself back at EA. After dumping 95% of its temporary games testers, it now finds itself short-staffed, and I was lucky enough to be one of the few they recalled. Despite the RSI of playing all day, it's nice to be working again, especially when I get such a nice reception back.

How do these two pieces of seemingly separate news intertwine? Well, it seems that coffee machines do not actually boil water, they just make it hot. So this means that all the coffee machines in EA's compound cannot be used while Vancouver's water is contaminated. So yesterday I found myself in a building filled with thousands of game developers, and no coffee. The poorly staffed in-house starbucks was making americanos for a few hours before the health department advised that cappucino makers apparently don't heat the water enough either. When I left last night, things were starting to look ugly. Especially as we'd just found a massive bug in game that's due to go beta on Tuesday. There looked like overtime all weekend for most of the developers and lot of the testers. You try doing an 18-hour day with no coffee or tea. I'm scared to see what it will be like when I arrive at work tomorrow.
 

6 comments so far.

  1. Kass 9:33 AM
    And its completely coffee dry today! GOOD LORD!?!?@!#!~#!@# HOW ARE WE GOING TO SURVIVE?!?!
  2. Shanathalas 9:40 AM
    I know. I desperately need coffee today. I just won't make it through without it.
  3. Jaime 12:48 PM
    Heh, its about this time when things are coming up milhouse. No coffee means I have the most energy here! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!
  4. Kass 2:05 PM
    I say we highjack the starbucks lady and make her make us some.
  5. Shanathalas 2:24 PM
    I'm in.

    Cheese ii!!!
  6. Kass 3:52 PM
    I'm dyyyyiinng *falls under desk and puts hand on forehead* Woe is me.

Something to say?