Shanathalas
"When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around"

Sense of Cautious Optimism Returning

By Shanathalas
So to catch up, thanks for all the well wishes. I am certainly behind in my blogs, email, and flickr. So we are now comfortably ensconced in our new tiny apartment in the sky. Both Jaime and I are feeling much happier about our surroundings. My health has improved and almost all the effects of the allergy have departed. We still need to get some new bookshelves to unpack all our books and cds, but at least we are now feeling we are in a place we can finally unpack that stuff.

Other good news: civic workers strike is almost over! By almost, I mean that 2 out of 3 of the unions have settled. So garbage collection is starting again, and most importantly for us, the community centres will reopen meaning the gym, swimming pools, ice rinks and dance classes - hooray. The librarians are still on strike and I wish them the best with their negotiations as their key issue is wage equity for a female-dominated industry.

We have managed to see a plethora of great films: 3:10 to Yuma, Eastern Promises, and Elizabeth: the Golden Age. Though somehow I have yet again missed the entire Vancouver Film Festival.

I have volunteered as the Membership Secretary for the Archaeology Society of British Columbia. Not sure what exactly I've gotten myself into, but I'm hoping to help them discover a little thing called the 21st Century.

So October is for me again my month of renewal and rebirth. It is the end of one year and the beginning of another. This week we have Jaime's birthday celebrations, and then the week after that, a week of Halloween events including the wonderful "Parade of Lost Souls".

Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone - it must be working.

Also, it's nice to see the new faces on crackbook :)
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous 8:31 PM
    yay!

    am glad to hear things are on the up and up. :)
  2. vohumanu 12:18 PM
    Hmm. Where do you dig to find the 21st century?

Something to say?